03 March 2014

3-Mar-2014

136 years

Today it's Bulgaria's Liberation Day (or Independence Day if you wish so). Although I don't live there I still feel excited about today, my heart and brain are still Bulgarian.
On this day, 136 years ago, the Russo-Turkish War ends and Bulgaria regains its independence from the Ottoman Empire according to The Treaty of San Stefano. The events afterwards were not the most benevolent for the newly liberated country but this is a whole other story.
Each year there are celebrations all across Bulgaria commencing in amazing fireworks in all big cities. I really miss being there today but I don't miss the political polemics and ugliness that I'm sure this year were part of the "celebration". I might be studying politics but this doesn't mean that I like everyone's political opinion to be shoved into my face.

You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...