05 March 2014

05-Mar-2014

Onion Rings


My dad and I have been daydreaming about onion rings for so long now that I can't actually remember since when. So when we bough a bag of ginormous onions I had only one thought - I M-U-S-T make onion rings. Unfortunately, my dad lives at the other end of the continent but at least now I know that the next time I go back home I have a special treat for him in my sleeve, something easy that he'll love. And knowing him, this will be a dream come true.
So, about the onion rings. Offensively easy, crazy delicious. Perfect snack for a game night or movie night. They are born to be dipped in rich sauces and paired with ice-cold beer. As cold as you can drink it before your teeth fall. Feel free to improvise with the spices, this time I kept mine mild, using just the basic salt and pepper, but I plan to unleash my imagination next time I prepare those. What do you think about onion rings dipped in honey-based batter? Mmm, I'm starting to salivate just by the thought of it!

Ingredients:


  • 1 Big Onion
  • 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 Egg
  • 1/2 Cup Milk
  • 1 Tsp Baking Powder
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Oil for Frying

How-To:


  1. Cut the onion to discs and then press the rings out of it.
  2. In a bowl mix the flour, the baking powder, the milk and the egg together into a thick batter. Add the seasoning.
  3. Dip the onion rings in the batter and make sure that they are covered well.
  4. Fry in preheated oil until golden on both sides.
  5. Let dry on kitchen paper and enjoy warm.

I highly recommend to dip them in ketchup and mayonnaise. And don't forget to keep them company with ice-cold beer. Ginger beer would work too...

Love from first bite!