23 January 2014

23-Jan-2014

Hackintosh

Have you ever heard about "Hackintosh"? No? How about "Macintosh"? Does that sounds familiar? Of course it does, we live on a planet ruled by iFanatics, either pro- or anti-. I live in the middle land. Yes, indeed, Apple produces some really cool gadgets but they are also way too expensive. At least for my budget.
However, Mr. Boyfriend is a big fan of their computers and it's really happy to use one of their gianourmous iMacs at work, claiming that they are the cutting edge and that he will not be able to work on anything else. That probably makes sense if you are in the programming business - he is. I'm not and I'm rather pleased with my 14' inch HP laptop running on Windows 7. It does everything I want, it's lighter that most of the laptops at the market and it was at a very good price. Before the import tax. I think I'll stick with it as long as I can.
Mr. Boyfriend's home computer is a whole new story. He used to own a laptop but he was using it as a desktop computer so he sold it and fixed an old Dell that he found at the rubbish bin with the idea that come September he'll buy himself a MacMini. But it's now January and Mac hasn't announced a new Mini so far. Than he decided that he no longer can use the poor Dell (that by the way is running on Linux - as his laptop was). The old generation MacMini-s are not cheap, although they are the cheapest Mac computer at the market. And then the light bulb turned itself on. What if he buys a Mac computer that is not manufactured by Mac themselves? Sure someone does that. After two straight days spent on eBay and hundreds of "I'll do it!" and "I won't do it!" today the Hackintosh arrived. He decided to stay home at the morning to wait for it. After it arrived he put it upstair in the bedroom, looked at it for a minute or two and then he left for work. Than after 3 hours all of the sudden he came back. Decided that he'll work from home, now that he has his new toy. You should've seen his face - pure happiness. I guess that means that from now on I would have a companion while I'm studying at home. Good bye, my lazy days.
What can I say - boys will be boys.

You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...