30 October 2014

30-Oct-2014

Spookilicious Pumpkin Pie

Hello, my name is Stana and I love pie. All kinds of pie. My favourite type pie is more pie, simple as that. I like it on its own, with whipped cream or even better with ice cream, glazed or dusted with icing sugar, I can't think of a pie I won't eat. I even like savory pies, to be honest, because they are so comforting and indulgent that simply it's a crime not to love them.
Now, the search for a perfect pie recipe can be overwhelming, I know. So many things to take in account, so many decisions, and all you want is just a good big slice of home-made pie. Here's my confession - for years I used to make a different pumpkin pie, one that takes hundred times more time and in the end it will be just OK, not great and unforgettable. I'll spend hours to prepare it, I'll make my own pastry, I'll grind the pumpkin, a hell of a lot of work and in the end the pie won't even be memorable. Well, that's not worth, I thought. So, last year, I spend the whole of September and October try to find the perfect pumpkin pie recipe. It involved plenty of baking and eating, and cleaning after that, but now I'm confident to say that I have found the perfect pumpkin pie recipe! I've found the one. And like Erin, my American friend, said last year - this pie is made to remind you of the magic that happens in your Gran's kitchen, it's a dream made in pumpkin heaven.
Oh, and did I mention, it works 100% fine with store-bought pastry, you folks. Isn't that just the best thing ever?!

Ingredients (make 1 huge pie, or 2 smaller ones):


  • 750gr pumpkin, peeled, chopped in chunks
  • 1 pack shortcrust pastry
  • 120gr brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 25gr butter, melted
  • 175ml milk
  • 3 tbsp maple syrup

How-To:


  1. Place the pumpkin in a pot, cover with water and bring to boil. Simmer until the pumpkin is soft and tender, then rinse, drain and let cool.
  2. Roll the pastry so that it covers your pie dish. Line the baking tin with baking parchment, place the pastry on top, cover with second baking parchment and put baking beans on top.
  3. Bake the pie crust for 15 on 180C, then remove the baking beans and bake for another 5-10 minutes until the pastry looks slightly golden. Let cool slightly.
  4. Turn the oven to 220C.
  5. In a bowl mix together the sugar, cinnamon, eggs, milk, butter and maple syrup.
  6. Push the pumpkin through a sieve and mix together with the sugar-cinnamon-milk mixture. Whisk until combined.
  7. Pour the pumpkin filling into the pie crust and bake for 10 minutes.
  8. After the 10 minutes have passed, turn down the heat to 180C and bake for another 35-40 minutes, until set.
  9. Chill the pie  and, if wanted, serve it with icing sugar sprinkled as scary pumpkin face.

Spooky Halloween, everyone!




You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...