27 October 2014

27-Oct-2014

Ice Cream For Two

Boho Gelato, Brighton

I can't believe I haven't reviewed Boho Gelato until now! This is my most favourite place in town, the best ice cream I have ever had, amazing and beyond any classifications! The place is hidden on a small street just of Pool Valley coach station in Brighton, and is a favourite among locals and visitors. I remember that when I moved in here on our very first walk in Brighton Mr.Boyfriend took me there and I was beyond charmed.
They are few thinks that set Boho Gelato from the rest of the places: 1) they use only localy sourced products and make all the ice creams in the shop; 2) they are constantly changing the flavours of the ice creams they offer, experimenting bravely with flavours and combinations, even including suggestions from children; 3) there are always at least 4-5 vegan options, but the taste is still impeccable and rich.
The only con I found is that they don't have many sitting place. And by they don't have many I mean they hardly have any - 2 small tables just outside the shop and 4 stools inside it. However, they are not a gelateria, they are a gelato shop, which means that you go in, you choose your ice cream and then you leave. Simple as that.
So, after a short walk on Saturday, I told Mr.Boyfriend that I'm not going home without paying Boho Gelato a visit. I wanted a good ice cream and I wanted it now. Lucky for me, he didn't mind at all, so he obediently followed me on my quest for amazing ice cream.
After a short taste testing session, we decided to have two scoops each, making a total of four different tastes. We had Raspberry and Elder-flower, Pear and Almond, Sour Cherry, and Salted Caramel Pretzel. Where should I start from?  The Raspberry and Elder-flower was bery rich and tangy taste, a bit sour, a bit addictive, very different from the standard raspberry ice cream. The Pear and Almond was very sweet, full with pieces of pears and tiny sliced of almonds, extremely creamy and thick. A real gelato type ice cream! Sour Cherry was from the same palette as the Sour Cherry, but *surprise-surprise* sour and with big real chunks of cherry Creamy, rich, fulfilling, ice cream that is worth the time spent doing it. And last but not least, the Salted Caramel Pretzel which is not everyone's cup of tea, but if you dear to try it, you'll be delighted by it's creamy wet salty taste, the crispy pieces of pretzel and the harmony of these tastes. It tastes like something that you'll snack on whenever you want to indulge and you're not willing to give up either of your favourite snacks - salted caramels and pretzels.
The atmosphere in the shop is of the modern artisan shop this place actually is. All the staff is very friendly and nice, they will always offer you to try the ice-creams before you choose and will help you make the tough decision which ice creams you're having today. The price is about right for the product they are offering, and I couldn't be more happy to pay for the time and efforts spend preparing this ice-cream. And hey, this is Brighton after all, 2,60 for scoop is normal!

Food: 10/10
Service: 9/10

Interior: 6/10

Location: 8/10
Pricing: 9/10

Overall Grade: 9/10

Would we go backHell YEAH! ALWAYS! You hear me, ALWAYS! I literally don't eat ice cream from any other shop in Brighton! Why would anyone?




You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...