31 May 2014

31-May-2014

Coffee, Tea, Cake And Sandwiches For Five Friends


Small Batch Coffee Shop, Brighton


If a place makes a really good coffee, I might remember it and eventually go back. If a place makes a really good tea, then I most certainly will go back again and will tell all my friends about it. And this is exactly the case with Small Batch Coffee Shop and me.
The first time I went in there was almost exactly one year ago. I had a job interview with a private individual and preferred to meet them in public. I know, all very precautious and mindful of me, what can I say? And because you can't sit at an empty table and I was already nervous enough not to drink coffee, I went for a tea. They served me a reasonably big pot of brewing tea and the most beautiful cup I have ever seen in my entire life. I was charmed. My amazing cherry blossom and green tea tasted as I'm eating real cherries, the atmosphere was great and I greatly enjoyed my stay. Ever since then, whenever I go into town, I'm looking forward my cup of tea in the Small Batch Coffee Shop.
So earlier today, after my friends and I prepared one of our friend's birthday present, we decided that we deserve to treat ourselves. The obvious choice was the Small Batch at Norfolk street. My obvious drink of choosing was a jasmine tea, so far one of my favourite ones. Among all of us we also shared a macchiato, a cappuccino, two different types of grilled sandwiches - three cheeses with mushrooms, and ham and cheese with tomato, a flourless chocolate cake and a pecan cinnamon roll. The coffees were nice and rich, and maybe the cappuccino wasn't the best I have ever tried, but it was above the average. The grilled sandwiches were fresh and there was no shortage of the filling. The dessert were also nice, not exquisite and superb, but the cake was gooey and rich, not too sweet, and the cinnamon roll was freshly baked and crispy. I don't have anything bad to say, you know. It was all very good. My tea was perfect, the jasmine flower blossomed in front of our eyes and the brew was intense without getting bitter.
It was enjoyable and the atmosphere in the place is more personal, more intimate. You don't get the feeling that this is just a business, like in the high-street coffee chains. Oh, and a very nice touch of having great plates and cutlery, as well as all of the amazing real wood furniture. You feel welcomed and cherished.


Food: 7/10
Service: 8/10
Interior: 9/10
Location: 8/10
Pricing: 7/10

Overall Grade: 7/10

Will we go back? - Yes, I love them. They are my little hideout in town, too bad they don't have a shop nearer our place, you know, in the suburbs.




You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...