02 May 2014

2-May-2014

Turkish Style Roasted Chickpeas


I have a confession to make - I love nibbling. It's a terrible habit and it's completely unhealthy, so I try to control it or at least to control the type of food I'm eating. When I'm studying I try to stick to raw: apples, carrots, almonds and hazelnuts, because they are fairly good for the health and are enriching the diet. However, every now and then I'll be craving for something slightly salty and spicy. Then I remembered that my Turkish great-grandfather used to eat roasted chickpeas all the time. They are quite popular East from Vienna, serving as a cheap substitute for coffee beans or roasted nuts. He used to like them roasted to crispiness and sprinkled with cinnamon. While I'm not so fond of the sweet version, I find the savoury simply amazing.  And so damn easy, it's a shame I don't do that more often. Mr.Boyfriend totally agrees with me. Now, to the recipe for this great easy recipe.

Ingredients:



  • Boiled Chickpeas
  • 1tsp Olive oil
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Cumin and Hot Chili Powder

How-To:


  1. Drain the water from the chickpeas and let them dry in the colander/sieve for a couple of minutes.
  2. Place all of the chickpeas between two pieces of kitchen paper and gently rub the chickpeas.
  3. Leave them dry between the paper for good 10-15 minutes.
  4. Line a baking try with parchment and arrange the chickpeas on top of it.
  5. Sprinkle with the olive oil and the spices and stir well the chickpeas, so all of them are coated.
  6. Place in preheated at 200C oven and roast for 20 minutes.
  7. After those first 20 minutes stir the nuts and move them around a bit.
  8. Put back in the oven and roast for another 15 minutes.
  9. Take out of the oven and let cool down completely.
  10. Nibble away, dears!











You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...