12 May 2014

12-May-2014

It Tastes Like Home - Granny's Chicken Soup


As I was growing up there was one food that symbolised home above all - my Granny's chicken soup. Is gift from the heavens, warm, tasty, easy, healthy. Every time when I showed even the smallest signs of catching a cold, a big pot of chicken soup will be bubbling on the stove already. All my growing up friends knew about Granny's soup and whenever they were to come over home they will call and ask if we had some, so they can have a bowl, or two. Of course, Granny always prepared a pot just for their arrival, so they were always so delighted to find a hot bowl of love waiting for them. Later, when I started cooking myself, one of the first things I made sure to master was the chicken soup. There is not much to master in an easy recipe like this one, just one thing you need to make sure you do properly, but nevertheless I take a lot of pride in making my Gran's soup. Whenever I eat it I can swear that I see my Granny across the table, smiling at me with her wonderful warm smile. Oh, I can't wait for her and Grandad to come over in little over a month! Now, to the kitchen, we have amazing soup to prepare!

Ingredients:


  • 3-4 pieces of skinless chicken thighs, with the bone
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 3-4 big potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1 1/2 cup green peas
  • salt

How-To:


  1. Fill a large bowl with cold water and put the chicken to boil.
  2. Add some salt, this will help the dirt from the chicken get out easier and faster.
  3. When it start boiling skim all and any scum that rises to the surface. You need clean and clear broth.
  4. When the chicken is cooked take it out of the boiling water and place in a plate to cool down slightly.
  5. Add the carrots and the potatoes to the broth and boil until cooked.
  6. In the meantime remove the bones from the boiled chicken and cut the meat in small pieces.
  7. When the carrot and potatoes are cooked add the peas and put the chicken back in the pot.
  8. Cook for another 5-ish minutes, until the peas turn soft.
  9. Add more salt if needed.
  10. Serve with fresh herbs (basil or parsley) chopped on top.
Note: My Granny usually likes her soup with plenty of fresh black pepper and a splash of vinegar or lemon juice. If you fancy give it a try, it's way better than it sounds!










You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...