15 May 2014

15-May-2014

Spring Turkey Crock-Pot Stew


Have I mentioned before how much I love our crock-pot? No?! Shame on me! The slow cooker is a life-saver! I simply love it and use it whenever I can, and especially when I'm in need for something warm, homemade, fuzz-free. I have two very typical time slots when I use it - I cook stew in it overnight, so I'll put it on when I go to bed and turn it off first thing in the morning. Alternatively, I'll put something in when I wake up and by the time I come back from work/school in the evening there will be a dinner, ready to eat. The best part is that you don't have to worry about anything at all. Just turn it on, put the designated food in and go on with your life. Simple as that.
I'm a poultry person for the best part of the food I cook. I have never been big on red meats, even as a child. When I was growing up I would've eat chicken breasts whenever I had to eat meat. Unfortunately for me, my Mum wasn't full on board with my strict eating preferences, so pork, veil and beef will be slowly incorporated in my diet. Now that I'm the one responsible for what I eat, I try to keep a fairly balanced diet, not going into extremes and surviving on carrots and chicken breast. I also grew to appreciate birds other than the poor old chicken. Like the turkey. Because turkey meat is cool, it really is. And turkey breasts make excellent roasting, sandwiching, stewing material. And they are good for you too.
So, today for lunch we have a turkey stew with wonderful veggies, all slow cooked. All the wonderful aromas of the foods have become one. The tastes have mixed. Ah, the alchemist in me is celebrating this feast!

Ingredients (for 4 servings):


  • 500gr turkey breast
  • 10-15 small mushrooms, washed and halved
  • 1 big carrot, peeled and sliced
  • 150-200gr white beans, soaked in cold water at leat 1 hour prior
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes
  • 2 cups peas, either frozen or fresh
  • 1/2 courgette, diced
  • 3-4tbsp pickled jalapenos
  • 1/4 cup fat from roast (pork, duck, anything)
  • 250ml hot water
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 big red onion, cut in quarters
  • 2 big garlic cloves, cut in halves

Needed appliances:


How-To:


  1. Turn the Crock-Pot on Low heat
  2. Place the fat from the roast on the bottom.
  3. Add the turkey on top of the fat and make sure to rub it in the fat.
  4. Add all of the veggies on top of the turkey and stir them together.
  5. Season with salt and pepper and add the hot water.
  6. Cover with the lid and let cook for 10 hours.
  7. Enjoy this fresh, spring stew!






You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...