06 May 2014

6-May-2014

Chicken Nuggets Gone Healthy, Plus My Mom's Awesome Sauce



Oh, boy, don't I love chicken nuggets. They are great, little bites of chicken, crispy outside, soft and tender inside. The only problem is that they are deep-fried which, in my case, is almost certainly a deal-breaker. Well, at least it was, until I realised that I could actually bake them instead of fry them. The same nice tender chicken, the same mouthwatering crispiness but without all of the oil. Yes, yes, it is possible and they taste even better. And now, that they are healthy, why eat only 4 pieces when you can have 8 instead. Well, 8 might be a little bit too much for me, but the point is - eat as much as you want. No grease involved whatsoever!

The other very special secret to my chicken nuggets is the coating. I decided that I'm too cool to use store-brought one and prepared my own at home. Why? Because I prefer to know what goes in the food I eat. The same goes without saying about the cakes I make - I want to know what I eat. Back to the point, coating. If you prefer to use breadcrumbs from a box, it's fine. But if you're willing to spend just another extra 5 minutes on making the coating yourself, you won't regret it!


Ingredients:


For the Nuggets:

  • 600gr Good Quality Chicken Breasts

For the Coating:



  • 3 Slices of Well Toasted Bread
  • 6-7 Crackers (I used ones with natural taste)
  • 1 Cup Corn Flakes
  • 2tsp Tandoori Chicken Spices Mix
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 3 Eggs
  • 1/2 Cup Milk

For the Sauce:


  • 3tbsp Natural Yogurt
  • 3tbsp Mayonnaise
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Dried Dill
  • Garlic

How-To:


Chicken Nuggets


  1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
  2. Line a flat baking pan with baking parchment.
  3. Cut the meat to bites and set aside.
  4. In a bow whisk together the eggs and the milk.
  5. In a food processor put the toasted bread, crackers, corn flakes and spices. Pulse together to an even mixture.
  6. Take a piece of the chicken and dip it in the egg-milk mixture.
  7. Then roll it in the breadcrumbs and put in the pan.
  8. Repeat the same with all of the chicken and put in the oven for 15 minutes.
  9. After the 15 minutes are gone turn each and every piece on its other side and bake for another 15 minutes.
  10. Serve warm.

Mom's Awesome Sauce:


  1. Mix the yogurt and the mayo together.
  2. Add spice to your own taste.
  3. Keep refrigerated after preparation.






You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...