16 May 2014

16-May-2014

Going To The Movies: Her






Among exam revision and cooking my hat off, we managed to go to the movies last night. Showing up completely unprepared, without the faintest idea of what we want to watch, we decided to go with the #mosttalkedaboutmovie of this season - Her. The story follows the life Theodore, a middle-aged man who falls in love with his OS - Samantha. In the year 2025  people's computers are tailored to their owners and are not only intelligent but also have character and personality.
While Mr.Boyfriend found it very interesting and even slightly heartbreaking, I found most catching the colour-coordinated theme. For example everything around Theodore is in the various shades of red. It's a bit depressing, to be honest, and the whole feeling is to something very sad and slightly disturbing. You can't help it but feel very saddened by Joaquin Phoenix's performance and the whole atmosphere surrounding him. I cannot say that I didn't enjoy the movie in a way but I wasn't so WOW-ed by it as I would've expect. Joaquin Phoenix indeed does a great great job performing a devastated by life person. And Scarlett Johansson acts amazingly with her husky, very seductive voice. If you close your eyes you could see her making all the faces, moving her body, etc. For me, she was the best part of the whole movie. Or maybe I'm just bias towards here.

It's a strange movie, but if you have time, why not see it?

Grade: 5/10





You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...