29 June 2014

29-June-2014

Great-Grandpa's Sütlaç

 (Turkish Style Rice Pudding)

Every now and then we go to a Turkish restaurant and there will be always someone who will approach me to ask if I'm Turkish. I don't think I look much Turkish, but maybe others are able to see something specific in me that I just take for granted. Maybe they are able to see my Turkish great-grandpa through me.
There are a few things I remember from my great-grandpa - his amazing voice, his soft loving eyes, the way he drew elephants, the fact that he always called me "güvercin" (Turkish for "dove"). And the sütlaç he'll make for me every time I go to the flat where he and Great-Granny lived. And when I say every time, believe me, this actually meant every single time I'm there, he'll make me some.
Now I can't eat a spoon of it without remembering him, the way he spoke and the sound of his smile. I was very young when he passed away, just 5-years-old, but I still vividly remember him.
I'm sure that his sütlaç was way better than mine and every time I try to make it as good as I can, as close as I can to the notes he left. It's nothing very special, it's actually a very easy dessert to make, I just try to discover the sweetness of the one he made for me, so many years ago.

Ingredients (makes 5 cups):

  • 2 cups of white rice
  • 6 cups water
  • 2 cups milk
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar (add more/less depending on your taste)
  • cinnamon to sprinkle


    How-To:


    1. In a deep pan bring the 6 cups of water to boil, adding the salt.
    2. When the water is boiling add the rice.
    3. Turn down the heat and let simmer until the water is evaporated.
    4. Add the milk and stir well for few minutes.
    5. When the mixture starts to get thick, add the sugar.
    6. Stir until the sugars is combined with the rice pudding.
    7. Pour in cups/mugs and let cool down slightly .
    8. Sprinkle with as much cinnamon as you want, the more the better.
    9. Enjoy either completely cold or while it's still warm.
    Memories in a mug





    You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...