28 June 2014

28-June-2014

Best Ever Hot'n'Cold Salad


I know, I know, Summer is not the time for hot salads, but I couldn't resist my sudden inspiration to make this one. It's just too good to be dismayed. I have no idea how my brain decided that it will be a good idea to mix hot and cold food into a salad, but I'm glad it did. It turned out pretty awesome.
Last night was my first shift at this awesome gastro pub and everything went more than fine. I loved working there, the rest of the staff is really cool, the please itself is amazing and the whole atmosphere is so much different than your local grab-a-pint-on-the-go pub. I truly loved it and I'm looking forward my next shift this Sunday. The only tiny problem is that all the bar/waiting staff dresses pretty fancy - casual fancy, but still not exactly my usual reaped jeans and tank top day-to-day outfit. Meh, not a problem big enough to get me worried.
So, before heading to shift last night, I had to prepare myself some nutritious but not too heavy lunch. I didn't want to go there and be all sleepy or to start drooling the moment I say the food, right? So, while searching my fridge for something I might snack on/ use as a lunch I was thinking mainly in terms of pasta and boiled veggies, with same olive oil and olives! You now, the usual quick fix for hungry people who ran out of carrots for carrot salad. And then I saw my bistro salad mix - beetroot, lambs lettuce, chard and wild rocket, and I had an epiphany! I could mix my bistro salad with my pasta and veggie idea, ideally with more salad and less pasta. And this is it, this is how my Hot'n'Cold salad was born!

Ingredients:


  • pasta, as much as you want, any type but spaghetti
  • 1 cup frozen veggies
  • salad, any type you like - I currently LOVE bistro mix
  • salt and pepper
  • olive oil
  • the juice of 1 small lemon

How-To:

  1. Bring to boil two small pans of water and put to boil the pasta and the veggies.
  2. When they are boiled put them in a sieve and rinse them with cold water. They need to cool down a bit.
  3. In a big bowl mix together the salad and the boiled food, so that everything is well combined.
  4. Season with salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon juice.
  5. Enjoy!
Healthy and tasty, can't get any better than this!




You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...