20 June 2014

20-June-2014

Mouthwatering Very Berry Muffins


Muffins! They used to be my signature dessert. Now desserts are my signature course. I love making desserts, getting wild and experiment with tastes, textures and colours. And I also like trying new things! My Granny's favourite fruits are all berries, mainly strawberries and blueberries but she'll never refuse either raspberry or blackberry or anything like it. My Granddad likes pesonalised desserts, things that he can eat without having to share. Like cookies or muffins or individual pots of pudding. That said, it was obvious that I was going to prepare a dessert for them that combines their favourite things. That's me we are talking about after all. So, after some careful research, thinking hard how best to challenge the dessert and combining few recipes together, my Very Berry Muffins were born.
Those muffins are one of my favourite things, ever. They allow just enough things to be altered so that they can be different and still the same, time after time. You can have any given combination of berries for starters, it's all up to you. You can also use either fresh or frozen fruit. Frozen is cheaper, but fresh is juicier. Just do not thing of substituting the fruit for jam, it won't make the cut, I promise you. It changes the taste so drastically that these will not be my moist, soft and light muffins, but dense, overly sweet and boring mini cakes. Also, these lovelies call for both yogurt and milk. I strongly recommend using plain greek yogurt, just so that the flavour is crisp clear and natural, not artificial and fake. When it comes to milk is the usual - cow's milk or almond milk are my recommendations, soy milk is always too sweet and artificial for my taste. That said, I think is time to get started!

Ingredients (makes 20 normal sized muffins):


  • 1/2 softened butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp yogurt
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 medium eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla 
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 cups berries

How-To:


  1. Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
  2. Coat the berries in the flour mixture. All unnecessary flour you can put back to the original one.
  3. Cream together the butter and the sugar. Cream until it's light and fluffy.
  4. Stir in the creamed butter+sugar the eggs, very slowly, adding them one at the time.
  5. Stir in the vanilla.
  6. Next add the flour mixture, one cup at the time until the batter becomes thick and hard to stir.
  7. Then stir in the milk and the yogurt. Stir well, until it's completely limp-free.
  8. Last but not least, fold in the berries. Stir gently, you don't wont to destroy them.
  9. Scoop the batter into muffin baking tray. If using silicone one just ever so lightly grease it, if using a steel one - place paper muffin cups in each muffin hole.
  10. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 200C, until they are lightly browned at the ages.
  11. And this is it, a great snack, breakfast or dessert. Full of taste and very berry love!






You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...