12 June 2014

12-Jun-2014

Healthy Good Vegan Smoothie


I love love LOVE smoothies, but I always feel like they are just plainly indulgent and not all that healthy. This is over now! My vegetarian housemate gave me the idea that if I want to make my smoothie creamier while making it healthier, I can just add avocado to it. Yes, that's right, avocado. The sneaky little healthy monster is perfect not only for savoury dishes but for sweet ones as well.
Now, there are a few ingredients in the smoothies that are open to negotiation and are subjective to food allergies and dietary principles. My version is vegan, but you can change a significant part of the ingredients in order to fit your preferences. For example, Mr.Boyfriend's smoothie was made with full-fat cow's milk, protein powder instead of cocoa powder and sweetened with an extra spoon of honey. Also, I made my own homemade 3-nuts butter from almond, hazelnuts and peanuts. Any nut butter or even tahini will do the job. Just make sure that the tastes complement each other and that it is not too sweet.

Ingredients (for 4 glasses):


  • 1 ripe avocado, halved and pitted
  • 2 ripe bananas, halved
  • 2 tsp maple syrup (or honey, or agave syrup)
  • 4 cups almond milk (or full/skim fat cow/goat/sheep milk, or soy milk if you like extra sweetness)
  • 2 tsp nut butter
  • 2 tbsp raw unsweetened cocoa powder (or protein powder if you wish)

How-To:


  1. Place the avocado and the bananas in a blender and mash together.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until fully combined.
  3. Pour in glasses and add ice if wanted.








You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...