11 June 2014

11-Jun-2014

Delicious And Homemade Sweet And Sour Pork with Pineapple And Mushrooms


I love me some good Chinese food. I don't have favourite dish, I just know that every time I smell Chinese food I get so hungry that I can eat a cow. Or even two. However, I rarely attempt to cook Chinese food at home, not sure why, maybe because I simply never have all of the ingredients in the same time? Or maybe because I just like going to Chinese restaurants and getting fortune cookies with the strangest predictions in them. Who knows?
Well, that changed last night. While I was slicing my onion, thinking what I should cook when I feel so uninspired, Mr. Boyfriend gave the most brilliant idea EVER. Let's make some sweet and sour pork, he said. Why not, I thought, this is the favourite dish for both of us, so why not? And this is how this amazing and easy dish was made.
Oh, just one additional note. You can serve this with either boiled rice or with boiled/stir-fried rice noodles. We both prefer noodles but unfortunately we had run out of them. Our Sweet and Sour Pork worked out just fine with simple long-grain rice. I assume that everyone knows how to boil rice/noodles so I won't mention that in the recipe bellow.

Ingredients:


  • 400g fine pork meat, chopped to bites
  • 10 medium mushrooms, cut in quarters
  • 1/2 medium pineapple, peeled, pitted and chopped to bites
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1+ tsp Sriracha sauce
  • 1 big red pepper, chopped to bites
  • 2 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 big onion, cut in disks and then made to rings
  • sunflower oil to fry
  • salt and pepper, to taste

How-To:


  1. In a big pan heat the oil.
  2. When the oil is piping hot add the onion rings and stir until translucent and tender.
  3. Add the pork chunks and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring all the time.
  4. Add the pepper, the mushrooms and the pineapple.
  5. When the mushrooms start to look slightly cooked add the tomato paste and the Sriracha sauce. Stir well.
  6. Add the sugar and the soy sauce, stir and let cook for 3-4 minutes, until the pork is cooked thoroughly.
  7. Season with salt and pepper and serve on top of noodles or rice.








You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...