15 July 2014

15-Jul-2014

The Taste Testing: Coconut Milk


My taste experiments in the world of non-dairy world continue. Last week, when I finished my bottle of rise milk, I went on to try another new for me milk - Coconut one!
I was not the biggest fan of trying coconut milk, to be honest, never have been a fan of coconut to begin with. As a child, it just feels too much to me - the taste, the smell, the texture. It simply wasn't my thing. Well, until recently.
The more I read about healthy eating and living, the more I got into yoga and the occasional vegan desert, the more I came across the benefits of coconuts. Since I haven't tried anything coconutty since I was maybe 15 or 16, I decided that maybe is time to give a chance to this health titan. What I great decision it was!
The coconut milk has a very distinct taste - sharp, tropical, fresh and yet still milky enough. Very refreshing if drank on its own and perfect for summer smoothies. Mr.Boyfriend have been making me coconut milk energy boosting smoothies during the last few days that I had fever and had lost all my appetite. It might be just me, but I believe those smoothies are the sole thing that helped me get well.
Now, the coconut milk is rather sweet, not as much as the soy one, but definitely sweet. If you are after a cleaner, more subtle taste you should choose another one, But if you are after a rather strong, unmistakable taste and you want to add some interesting taste to your meal, this is the one for you. And did I mention how great it fits with energy smoothies?

I tried Alpro Coconut Original, 1GBP per 1l. bottle.


Mr.Boyfriend's Energy Smoothie (for 4 big glasses):



  • 1/2 big ripe avocado
  • 1 very ripe banana
  • 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 cup fresh strawberries
  • 2 cups coconut milk
  • 3 tsp chia seeds

How-To:


  1. Blend together everything but the chia seed.
  2. Add the chia seed and stir well.
  3. Pour in glasses and consume right away.



You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...