10 July 2014

10-Jul-2014

The Taste Testing: Rice Milk


Anyone who knows me knows that I'm obsessed with milk and dairy products. I basically live on milk, more or less. However, sometimes I get bored with my usual low-fat cow milk. You know, it's just the same, every time. And I've been a fan of almond milk for a while, especially when it comes to my breakfast oatmeal because it's nutty taste complements it perfectly. Oh, and I hate soy milk, it tastes so artificial and it's always so so sweet, I can hardly drink a spoon of it.
So this is the back story of my taste testing experiment - I wanted to try something refreshing and new. Therefore, the last time Mr.Boyfriend and I went grocery shopping, I snatched a bottle of rice milk. Before you wonder why, I'll say - no particular reason, it was just the first alternative I saw and I decided to give it a try.
It's taste is light, and the version I tried, it's slightly sweet. Not unpleasantly sweet, like soy, just the taste is there and I must mention it. It doesn't taste as nutty as the almond one, it's a lot closer to the cow's milk, but definitely lighter. It goes perfectly with oatmeal, again, but it brings more of a subtle flavour than the very accentuating almond one. Not sure if I would recommend it for cooking with it, especially for savory dishes, it might not complement the meal in the exact way you imagined it!

I thing I'll buy it again, but not so sure if I'll make it a constant part of my diet.


I tried: Rice Dream Rice Drink with added Calcium

Price: 1 GPB (£1.00 per lt)




You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...