22 November 2014

22-Nov-2014

My Family's Heartwarming Delicious And Healthy Imam Bayildi (Vegan, GF, Grain Free)

I must say, it has it's perks to have Turkish ancestors. Like all the interesting stories that your told. Or the funky name origins that you have. Or the amazing cuisine that is inherited in the family. Oh, yes, this cuisine is gift from the gods - equal parts Mediterranean, Arabic and Asian. Very diverse, very interesting, it doesn't belong in any categories. And Turkish desserts, oh, just don't get me started on them, they are beyond good. And sweet, for that matter.
One of the recipes, that has been passed down to me is this one, the Imam Bayildi. Without exaggerating, this is the one thing that I always always always ask for when I go back in Bulgaria to visit my family. Like, the moment I book my tickets I call my grandma to let her know when I'm coming back and to get ready to make me some Imam Bayildi. You see, I can make it myself, and I dare say I make a really good one, but there is a special magic in it when Nana makes it. It's just better. She just makes everything better.
I really like making this recipe when I have people come over for dinner at ours, because it's so simple and easy to divide it in equal portions - 1 aubergine "boat" per person. That's it. And maybe few tiny aubergines on the side, just to make sure that you have a small second serving if someone is very hungry today. Or just plenty of small "boats" that make an amazing starter. And if you are anything like Mr.Boyfriend and can't imagine not having meat, then just add some minced meat to the filling and it's all settled. Easy, right?!

Ingredients (4 servings):



  • 2 big aubergines, cut in half
  • 2-3 medium tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 1 yellow pepper, chopped
  • 1 big onion, chopped
  • 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 4 big garlic cloves
  • 3-4 big mushrooms, chopped
  • 2-3 tbsp olive oil
  • salt and pepper

How-To:

  1. Grab a big table spoon and scoop out the flesh from the aubergine halves.
  2. Salt the aubergine  boats (very well) and set aside for at least one hour. Best results achieved when left for 8+ hours.
  3. Cut the aubergine inside that you scooped, salt and set aside as well.
  4. Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
  5. Wash the aubergines, both boats and flesh, very well with cold water. Rinse well and make sure to wash out all of the salt you covered them with.
  6. In a deep pan heat the olive oil and add the onion and the chopped garlic. Cook until soft and translucent.
  7. Add the mushrooms and the chopped aubergine flesh. Cook until tender.
  8. Add the peppers and tomatoes, and add a tiny bit of salt. Cook until the tomatoes seem done.
  9. In a deep baking pan pour a bit of olive oil and cover the whole bottom, so the aubergines won't stick to it.
  10. Place the aubergine boats on the bottom of the pan and fill them in with the cooked veggies.
  11. Put a big garlic clove in each boat and bake for 20-30 minutes.
  12. When ready, take out of the oven and serve while hot.



You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...