20 November 2014

20-Nov-2014

Going To The Movies: Horns



Plot:

When Ig Perrish's girlfriend, Merrin, is raped and murdered, everyone assumed it was him. Even his family. His whole community believes him to be the devil in human form since he killed the sweetest girl, the best thing that had ever happened to him. And just to make his life even worse, he wakes up one morning to find out huge horns protruding from his forehead. However, this new look comes with some perks - people tend to share their darkest secrets with him, without he even asking them. And Ig decides to use them to find who actually killed his dear Merrn.

Why I Liked It:

I heard about the book a while ago, I was still in high school, and I was interested in reading it but never had the time to actually find it and read it. Then, I heard that Dan Radcliffe was filming the movie adaptation and I was set to watch the movie. This time I did as I said I will.
I very much enjoyed watching Dan develop, yet again, a young adult with deep emotional troubles and more darkness in him that he cares to admit. The film itself is nothing brilliant and mighty new and magnetic, but it's a good, interesting movie to watch in terms of characters, societal presumptions ("I'm pretty enough to be on TV") and other tiny little details. It's very dark and fantasmagirical, if the latter is an actual word, and works very well the power-relationship between good and bad, right and wrong.
Not sure I will recommend it for a date knight, but it was a good movie for post-headache evening last night. And Mr.Boyfriend and I both really enjoyed watching it. It wasn't what we expected and that was good. Twisted, dark, fantasy. It's all good.

Grade: 6/10




You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...