02 April 2014

2-Apr-2014

Choosing Smart

It's this time of the year when student's have to choose their electives for the next academic year. Today, on an event called "Options Fair" all 20 of us that showed up had the pleasure of hearing the brief module outlines by the module convenors themselves. All of the electives are part of a broader theme - "Politics of Governance", and each module is looking at different countries/organisations. Since I'm doing a joint degree (Politics and Sociology), I have to choose two for Politics (and respectively two for Sociology). After the "fair" ended I knew that there is only one person who would be able to help me make the right decision - his royal majesty, my Dad. I called him on skype and had an hour long conversation what would be the smartest and most profitable decision. And, thanks to his wisdom and realistic approach here are conclusions we reached:
  • India - I do know anything about Indian politics and have no aspirations whatsoever to be involved in neither theoretical nor practical matters about Indian political life;
  • South Asia - Although the subject itself sounds very interesting, the module convenor himself is very rigid and it will be generally hard to have good grades. Moreover, interest in Asia have always been more of a cultural one rather than political;
  • Eastern Europe - Being Eastern European myself I cannot be sure that I'll be able to detach myself from my personal background and evaluate the matter truthfully, without being bias;
  • International Institutions and Issues - This is one of my choices. It fits exactly in the niche I'm interested in and it would be very helpful for the career I want to pursue;
  • Germany - Although I was considering choosing this subject because of the brilliant teacher that is the convenor I decided against it. It would be great to have the opportunity to listen to one of my favorite teaches, but the matter itself is too specified and for the time being, I can't see myself pursuing life and career in Germany;
  • France - Applies the same as in the case of Germany but I don't even like the teacher as much as I like the one who teaches the previous module;
  • USA - I don't like anything about American politics and I'm sure that mu negativism about the matter would affect the quality of my work;
  • European Union - This is my second choice. The more I get to know the EU the more I  support its ideology and creeds.  I would love to work for the EU one day and I believe taking this module would be a step in the right direction.
I hope that my "well-educated choice" would be actually successful one for me. But only time knows this.


You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...