18 April 2014

18-Apr-2014

Natural Egg Dye

I am not religions whatsoever and had no inclination to celebrate Easter as the big Christian celebration that is. So I  wasn't planning to dye eggs this year until I my Mum suggested that I use natural materials to dye them. More about the challenge that the traditional purposes of dyeing eggs, I spend 2 hours yesterday playing with the eggs. The results weren't thrilling, but they were satisfactory and I also had so much fun! I decided to boil just 9 eggs, so we will be able to eat them all in one go. And none of them broke, so that was just great!

Ingredients:


  • The Skins of 4-5 Red Onions
  • 3 tsp Turmeric
  • 2 tsp Paprika
  • Vinegar
  • Hot Water

How-To:

For Red Eggs:


  1. Put the onion skins in a pot, cover with water and bring to boil.
  2. Boil for 30-45 minutes and then throw away the skins and keep just the water. The water should be dark red in colour.
  3. Add 2 tbsp vinegar and a 2 tsp paprika and stir well.
  4. Place the eggs in the mixture and let them stay for good 5-10 minutes. The colour should be dark red almost purple.


For Yellow Eggs:


  1.  In a cup put 3 tsp turmeric and 2 tsp paprika, 1 tbsp vinegar and 150 ml hot water.
  2. Stir together and place the eggs in it.
  3. Leave them inside for 10-15 minutes. The colour should be yellow, maybe a bit lighter that expected.

So Proud Of My Easter Eggs

Easter Paradise



You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...