01 April 2014

1-Apr-2014

April's Fool

Happy "It's OK to Lie Me Today" Day!
I haven't tried to trick/lie anyone in years on today's day. I sort felt that my "jokes" would be either about really serious stuff which will make it not funny or they would be really obvious and dull. Therefore I decided that there is no reason for me to continue to try and prank my friends and family. Lucky enough for me, no one tried to trick me either. So you can call it a rather uneventful day.
However, I have always like how Google approaches April's Fool. Can you remember last year's "Google Nose"? That was pure genius, wasn't it? This year they introduced "Emojify" and "Shelfie" - the former being announcement that everything will be "translated" to emojis and the latter a shared selfie. Maybe it's just me but none of those was good enough. While "Google Nose" felt real and the prank was actually elaborate, this year's ones were just floating semi-graciously on the surface of being currently  popular. And that's it. Maybe it's just me, being picky and all, but I almost felt offended by the Google's lack of creativity.
Let's hope that next year they step up their game. Google are my favorite pranksters for now.

You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...