29 December 2014

29-Dec-2014

A Year In Life

I think it's time for me to think about the past year and the crazy adventure this blog has been. When I started the blog I wasn't sure if I will be able to keep to my promise and actually write a post every day. As it turns out - I can. It takes a bit of preparation and the right mental set, some planning ahead but other than that is real fun!

2014 was a good and generous year for me. I had a relatively successful first year at university, and hopefully this one will be even better. I'm still greatly enjoying what I study, although I'm getting the Second Year Blues, which means that I question everything I do, why I do it, how I do, should I actually do it, why is nothing what it seemed to be, why everything changes so fast and why nothing hasn't changed. The usual drama.

I also managed to change 3 jobs in just 1 year. Beginning 1st of January 2014 I started working at the AMEX stadium in Brighton and stayed there for 3 awful and miserable months until March. When this gig was long gone, I tried my luck at McDonald's where I spent yet another 3 horrible months from June to August. This was an experience that I'll try and spare my children from. To put it nicely, there's a reason why McDonald's is always needs to hire new people after the previous ones have left. And last, but not least, late June I started at The Jolly Poacher and I'm still going strong. This place has become my second home, my sanctuary and my safe haven. I love the fact that I'm working with people I love and respect, people who are passionate about what they are doing and the way they do it. It is also a very nice, practical change from my university life - here I always know when I do something right and I can see that I'm getting better at it one day at a time. The people at the Jolly are my family and my colleagues, so what can be better than that?

In my personal life 2014 has been a smooth sailing, more or less. I was extremely happy to have my grandparents over for a week in the beginning of the Summer. They are now planning their second visit, and my sweet sweet grandma is trying to convince my parents that it will be one hell of an adventure if they decide to come and visit me here! I also managed to go back home for 2 weeks in the beginning of September, so my Mum and Dad had the opportunity to squeeshy-squash me for 2 weeks before I came back to my duties. Hopefully next year we'll have more opportunities to spent time together, because I know how much they miss me and how much I miss them!

Mr.Boyfriend and I have been very happy together, thank you very much! We celebrated our 4th anniversary this year and we marked the occasion with a lovely dinner at a small Italian restaurant, and a treasure hunt in London (that was massive fun, y'all). After a summer spent working, working, working, we took our well deserved break in late November going for a long weekend in Barcelona. Apart from me, getting food poisoning, our stay in Barcelona was the perfect place for us to have a little rest and time for just ourselves. Definitely will go there again. As for next year, we are planning a Brighton to Paris cycling vacation and maybe a short break in Southern Italy. Who knows...

This year I also saw my cooking skills developing on a whole new level - from the confidence to make a layered cake to preparing  my own pastry to making pasta from scratch! I also experimented a lot more with vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free recipes and was more or less successful. Or at least told you guys only about the success stories. I hope next year to be able to spent a little bit more time in the kitchen, perfecting the things I already know how to make well and experimenting even more.

The thing I regret the most this year is not doing enough exercise. I started alright, then had a very strong Spring-Summer period (remember the month when I did yoga daily? plus the 20-min-a-day exercise minimum I had during the whole summer?) but the autumn and the winter were not so good for me. I am constantly too tired to be bothered to do exercise when I come back home from school or work. However, I'm eager to change that. And I think I am going to do it very soon and very much for real!

Because my new year-long dedication is to do yoga every day for one whole year. That is, 2015 is officially the healthy fit me year! 

Bang-Bang!


You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...